About four years ago, Ashoka filmed an extraordinary set of 16 interviews with pioneers of the social enterprise world, including Grameen Bank’s Muhammad Yunus, the World Social Forum’s Oded Grajew, and of course Ashoka’s Bill Drayton. I’ve watched several of these interviews and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
The sessions are very thoughtfully produced, and at 40 minutes and up, get to a meaningful level of insight that just isn’t possible in the five-minute video clips that you commonly find these days on social enterprise.
Although the interviews were originally available on DVD, they can now be found online at low to no cost:
- For audio only, free pod-casts are available from the Social Innovation Conversations Network led by the Stanford Center for Social Innovation, at this page: http://sic.conversationsnetwork.org/series/ashoka.html
- For video, see 5 minute reviews on YouTube, and if you want to watch the whole thing, visit the Ashoka page on Zipidee. You can rent for 10 days for $1.99, or you can buy them for all of $2.99.
My favorites thus far include:
- Thinking Big and Scaling Up with BRAC’s Fazle Abed, which can also be found for free in entirety on YouTube. (If you don’t know a lot about BRAC, definitely watch this video. They are doing uniquely impactful work.)
- Building Social Business Ventures with Grameen’s Muhammad Yunus
- The Citizen Sector Transformed with Ashoka’s Bill Drayton
This is a very engaging series that I highly recommend for anyone looking to better understand the social enterprise world.